arrow_upward
Has anyone ever used bash-shell for automation?
I recently did a research project and within it, I learned to use bash-shell programming to automate the simulations I was running. I was wondering if anyone else had done it and in what context they used it. I feel like it is one of the most useful programming skills I've learned but it doesn't seem to get much recognition

I thinks people still prefer to use languages like python to automate stuff. Bash maybe in settings like servers work fine.

I only use bash for small scripts like installer scripts and such things.
since bash heavily depents on using other script its almost like learing a new syntax for each function you need for your script.
python is the better way in my opinion

For small scripts sure.

But for more complicated stuff it rarely makes sense. You need to keep in mind that those scripts are usually not portable (other systems might run sh, bash x.y, dash, zsh, or even crazier shit). Also it living hell to do simple stuff like argument parsing + verifying etc.

python better i tink

Most companies use it to automate any tasks. For example, maybe something that wakes up every hour to upload logs to a database where they can be searched more easily