arrow_upward
Humankind Victor Opendev
Hey all!
Humankind announced this morning that they're doing their second round of opendev testing. Pretty much the same as the last one. This lasts from today (4/22) through May 3rd, so a week and a half.

For those not in the know, Humankind is basically Civilization, but more culture based. It is being created by the designers behind Civ IV if I'm not mistaken (the older civs I know, just not which one specifically). The gimmick is that as you enter each new era, you choose a new culture. For example, I entered the Ancient Era as the Egyptians and then continued into the Classical Era as Maya. It's supposed to give a nice fusion of cultures that are unique each time. I still get Egyptian pyramids in my Mayan cities while building new Mayan temples.

Playing it the second time (third if we're talking number of playthroughs completely), I'm really just not feeling it. Even on normal difficulty, the ai seems to have cheats cranked up to keep them competitive and it just isn't fun. Like, they'll have 2 cities and multiple outposts by the time I get my second outpost down. I get completely crammed in the corner and because of the way the war system works, I can't declare war on any of them without getting penalties. They're clearly not as good as I am; they just seem to have cheats (free stars, free science, etc). My cities are bigger; more food, more production, more troops. And I can see that I make more stars than the other civs, since it's shown off in the culture screen. Just bleck.

I want to hear others' thoughts, though! It seems like it could be really fun, they just have to fix some pacing issues and improve the ai rather than just giving them cheats!!