arrow_upward
IDE or text editor+CLI?
I've never used an IDE and never will; I'm one of those freaks who thinks catching my own bugs is fun.

What do you use and why?

[+] 1 user Likes war_and_peaches's post
You're crazy lol. I used VScode because I like the integrated terminal and all of the extensions they have.

That's brave not using an IDE. All the helps and hints and intellisense stuff has become a must for me. For Java, I use IntelliJ after switching from Eclipse. IntelliJ is so much nicer. VS 2019 for C# and VSCode for JavaScript and other smaller stuff when I need something lightweight that loads quickly on my shitty computer.

For small projects it can be faster to write using a text editor, but some IDEs can have a lot of useful features at the cost of larger download sizes.

Ive been using Atom for a couple years now and have been really enjoying it.  Its a customizable text-editor with many IDE-like features.  I still run code and scripts from terminal but it does make the whole process more streamlined compared to a simple text-editor.  It's much for powerful and flexible.

VSCode / intellij comes clutch not gonna lie

vim + tmux all the way.

IDE and CLI would be a good combination you don't need a basic text editor for that

notepad++ I don't like IDE's but since programming is not really my field I can't even explain why the preference. It just werks.

I use visual studio 2010. It's the last version that has acceptable speed (it's still bad). VSCode is horribly slow for me, though I like its simplicity and flexibility. VS is just setup well for C right out of the box.

Text editors build character. But actually, using emacs or vim plus cli is significantly faster than an IDE once you’re proficient depending on your development environment. Emacs also had the benefit of infinite customizability along with a robust community around it.

VsCode is best