arrow_upward
Is 4K or even 1080p enough?
Given the push for 8K content I wonder if it is even necessary? 1080p is actually a decent resolution and 4K is more than enough, especially given the size of most people's televisions. Does anyone really need a bigger resolution? Can you even tell the difference?

I tend to agree with UserBenchmark: "Whilst gaming just 150cm from a 65 inch screen, the difference in quality between 1080p and 4K is quickly forgotten. Running games at 1080p results in higher frame rates and therefore smoother, more responsive and ultimately more immersive gameplay."

Maybe in the near future, we will appreciate 4K and 8K more.
Before, I didn't understand SD vs HD, I thought HD was overkill.
But maybe in 10 to 20 years we will want minimum to be 4K.

it will someday go to 8k because panel tech gets better, but 1080p already looks rough in movement when there is lots of fine details like grass.

Quote:I tend to agree with UserBenchmark: "Whilst gaming just 150cm from a 65 inch screen, the difference in quality between 1080p and 4K is quickly forgotten. Running games at 1080p results in higher frame rates and therefore smoother, more responsive and ultimately more immersive gameplay."

Maybe in the near future, we will appreciate 4K and 8K more.
Before, I didn't understand SD vs HD, I thought HD was overkill.
But maybe in 10 to 20 years we will want minimum to be 4K.

I think the clear benchmark is what you see in the cinemas. That was always the standard of quality that a film was supposed to be at. DVD quality over VHS was miles ahead, partly because you also saw movies in their full ratio for the first time. But to me 1080p is objectively close to a cinema experience, especially when you have a big enough TV and you're not sitting that far away.

2K is probably close to matching and 4K is beyond enough.

For regular gaming on screens I think 2-4K is enough. I think the biggest benefactor, at least for gaming, in high resolutions is in VR.

My rift is 1440p in each eye I believe and that's still blurry for a lot of stuff I want to do. Unfortunately we need graphics cards that can keep up first.

[+] 1 user Likes throwaway24609's post
honestly 1080 works and looks just fine but if you are serious about gaming you should get a 4k moniter

Quote:For regular gaming on screens I think 2-4K is enough. I think the biggest benefactor, at least for gaming, in high resolutions is in VR.

I don't think VR can ever really match the real-world. We would need to see huge improvements in quantum computing.

2K is definitely a sweet spot for the hardware people have and for both playing games AND watching movies.

i saw one 8k tv in a store here, The quality was unreal!

I am sure its nice to get 8K but it all depends on your wants..

I honestly feel like anything above 4k is a little overkill