arrow_upward
Is it worth using a mac to program?
Hey guys

I heard about macbooks and they are really good to code on them

but still i don't get the idea on using a mac for coding then a windows...

could you guys please explain why this?

Depends a bit on what kind of coding. Web development can be smoother on mac since it runs on linux. However, if you want to do graphics for example, I think Windows has better support

It really depends what OS you're most comfortable with. If you've never used a macbook before and you're just starting out in programming you might have a tough time with it. There's really no need to buy a macbook just for programming -- most languages have IDEs for both Windows and MacOS platforms.

If you use a text editor such as Sublime, you'll be able to code in languages such as python on Mac, Windows or Linux with Montreal programming differences.

If you currently use Windows for programming then I don't necessarily think you need to buy a MacBook as there won't be much difference if any in the coding. The only time you might need Mac over Windows is if you want to do iOS app development or something similar

All depends on the type of coding you wanna do, personally linux tasks the cake but it's all case by case

its all preference based man. do what feels comfortable. coding felt awkward on windows for me personally

Its really useful for python stuff and shell coding. Afterall Windows is more versatile and gives you more opportunities.

The question is not if it's worth using a mac to code. The question is "If I like mac, can I use it to code without any troubles?". The answer is yes 99.9% of the time.

Nowadays there are enough editors, IDEs and other tools for Windows, Mac and Linux. You won't do any better in one OS than in the other, though.

Just pick the one you like the most for everyday use.

Depends completely on what you want to do.

Some examples:
You want to create Mac/iOS Apps -> Use the Mac
You want to program normal projects in java, python , ... AND you like the comfort of using a Mac -> Use the Mac

You don't want to create Mac/iOS Apps and you have limited budget -> Take a PC (Linux/Windows)
You want to create Windows Applications that are easy to build and look acceptable -> Take Windows and use C#
You want to do crazy stuff with C++ or build linux kernels -> Use Linux (Better compilers ) AND also a good Hardware, with Mac you will go bankrupt for that

Mac is unix based, so it's suitable for a lot of programming. But if you're coding windows apps, use windows. Comes down to what you're making.

its a good unix system, can also use homebrew to install stuff on terminal.