arrow_upward
Learning how to code VS using a website builder?
Considering that website builders are decently advanced these days, do you guys think it’s still worth it to learn how to code and make your own site? This would be for a small business. 

I’m currently going through beginner courses on HTML/CSS, and I definitely see the upsides of having complete control over every element, but part of me feels that I could just use a site builder and be done with it all. In your experience, do you think using a site builder is acceptable enough for most industries?

Not really, unless you can get into the enterprise market. There is no money in small site web dev anymore. Especially when website builders and out of the box stuff are easier to use and produce more reliable results

Hello,

Today we mostly use Javascript to render HTML, check for some framework like react/vue.
Thoses are pretty strong and helpfull while building website, that is even faster than building your site from scratch also for one-paged sites.

+

I’m trying to get into making my own website but it’s so damn difficult

It depends on your objective. If you just want to advertise yout business, most site builders will do the trick. If you want to make very specific things, like a user control panel, specific areas for users, clients or employees, etc, it'll be good to build your website. Not from scratch, though, as isotortoise said, you can use a framework like React (probably the most famous one?) to accelerate the process. But it's still important to learn the basics - HTML, CSS and javascript - since you'll use these on the said frameworks.

I spent SO much time learning coding when the internet was first a thing. I think I learned HTML 1.0? (maybe 2.0. not sure)

Over the years the technology & languages developed so fast. The last thing I learned was CSS a bunch of years ago, and then stopped trying to keep up.

But I've been wondering the same thing - using a website builder is so much easier & faster, but I picture it giving you a lot less specific control? Not to mention having to pay them every month, instead of designing yourself & just paying hosting costs.

What would you guys suggest to someone who has SOME knowledge, but is out of date? Just suck it up and use a builder?

(Not to mention - any reliable companies you'd suggest?)

For a simple project just use a site builder. 
If tou need to build some app, its better to code it yourself

Yeah i think theres pluses and minuses to using a site builder vs from html/js/ css. If you know what you're doing, the latter option will be cheaper and more "in your hands" when it comes to customizability. You can also use the knowledge for large-scale projects.