arrow_upward
Learning martial arts
Im 22 right now and never did any form of martial arts as a kid. Looking to learn some self defense for future use. Which martial arts form do you think is best to learn? Im fairly busy so can only go to training sessions once a week

I'm no expert but I think for realistic self-defense (not just stuff that works with cooperating people) some kind of kickboxing and BJJ can be good. UFC seems like a decent litmus test for valid martial arts imo, however a real fight of course doesn't have rules and in a life or death situation, eye gouging and kicks in the balls are not unthinkable. In my personal opinion based on a bit of training though, physical strength will always have a major effect on how efficient your techniques are. If you don't have a muscle on your body, even perfect technique likely won't help you win a fight against a strong opponent. It's still a great workout though depending on how the training is run. Personally I like trainers who push you and aren't concerned with being super nice and understanding and stuff, it's uncomfortable but makes you fit, heh.

Do yoga haha, seriously once a week is not enough for any authentic martial art.