arrow_upward
Learning tools for programming
Hi, so I took some programming classes while getting my degree and was never really good at it.

i did alright with Raptor and Python but taking a 6 week online crash course in C+ really beat the will out of me.. And I want to give it another shot.

So anyone have any recommendations on good tools to get started and try learning it again?

[+] 1 user Likes 46hr6589's post
w3schools is a great tool for a lot of stuff, I use it mostly for web stuff, but they also do C++ and C. And don't forget about stack overflow, although it's not structured and in a tutorial form, it's great for working out bugs and finding better more efficient ways of doing things.

If you find algorithm than try to visit geeksforgeeks.com

Overall it is better to learn by hand, start programming simple programs like float calculator, sockets etc.

One decent way to learn is to find a project in a language you like and just hack on it. It'll be horrible and ugly at first but you'll gradually absorb the rules with the help of a few tutorials and a lot of searching. Having the kind of project in front of you that you're personally invested in can be more motivating than a random tutorial you're dragging yourself through just to learn the language.

The tip about just getting into it is probably the best. You'll only really understand how it's done when you apply it to a novel problem. Otherwise you can only repeat the stuff you read and not create something new.

Just stay picking up problems on leetcode

I would say that you should decide on a project first and then learn things as you go along. All of the above tools are valuable, but one might have a better explanation on one thing than the other and visa versa.