arrow_upward
Never watch reruns
Thanks to streaming/downloads there's really no need to watch reruns on actual TV anymore but I remember in the early 2000s there were some shows I would watch reruns of (how I was first introduced to them)

When I learned networks would edit them to remove some scenes so they could fit in more commercials for ad money I had no interest in watching an incomplete episode. Shameful practice!

hard to disagree with this!

Yeah, thankfully TV is dying relatively quickly

I've never been much into TV.
I remember back before I realized there's a "Do not call" option you can submit to your cable company that I ended up having to repeatedly tell people "I don't watch TV."

"Well what do you do for entertainment?"
YouTube, gaming with friends, programming. Don't need TV.

So I definitely agree, no need to watch reruns on TV when you can just look up a series and watch whatever episode you want.
Well, at least until licenses expire and those shows disappear...

Huh, I never knew that. How much do they cut out? Thanks for the info

I remember the first time I noticed that with a movie I had seen on TV, when I bought the movie I found out they cut over 20 minutes of the movie for ads

I don't really watch reruns either due to me being able to watch the entire series of a show on YouTube or Netflix, but hearing that they can cut out important movie scenes just to place in some ads really sucks.

[+] 1 user Likes Jerklekek's post
Yeah, honestly mate the reruns are pretty trash. But TV is dead anyways lol.

They cut 1 to 1.5 minutes on a half hour for syndication.

For example, a Seinfeld, Friends, or the Office episode is really 21.5 minutes long (then 30 with commercials). When rerun somewhere, like TBS for example, the episode is cut to 20 minutes, so they can run more commercials. The opening and end titles are usually truncated and then a scene or two is cut. Back when series DVDs were first available, i remember seeing jokes that I forgot about as I hadn't seen those parts since the episodes were originally run.

Because of lack of DVRs and streaming back in the day, a weird side effect of being stuck watching reruns (or hoping to catch an episode you missed live), is that you ended up nearly memorizing much of you favorite shows and quoting them all the time wihtou even trying to. Now I just watch and binge something once, never watch it again, and forget about it.

I understand and even agree with the idea but....

if i'm being honest, i never watch shows back unless I catch them playing on TV.

I have access to all the shows mentioned either on dvd/bluray or by streaming but does anyone actually bother to find the dvd/bluray and set it up?

and with streaming, I'm more likely to watch something new tbh.

I still like finding a rerun of something on TV and watching it. its how i first got into the simpsons, friends etc
and i still like doing it sometimes. the only thing that really annoys me is the edits which are usually really bad
but i can put up with it.