arrow_upward
Overweight. . A mental disorder?
I'm pretty overweight, always have been. I have had success losing some of it at times. . Other times I seem to put it right back on. . 

There isn't any medical reason that I'm aware of. . I just overeat and don't get enough exercise..my job involves me sitting around a lot.

People that aren't overweight seem to do so easily. They just have little meals, avoid bad foods for the most part, and seem to have no problem exercising.

For someone like me, it's a chore. I get home and don't feel like doing shit, maybe I'm depressed, maybe it's just laziness? I dunno.  

When I eat, I don't think I eat crazy unhealthy, but for my activity level I'd have to have like 1200 calories a day or less. . then I feel like I'm starving.  

I just feel like it's a mental thing. . Why can't I just stop eating and exercise? If I do. . why can't I keep it up for any amount of time?

Is it just a broken brain? A mental disorder? Just laziness?

[+] 1 user Likes preetyboy's post
It's common for many people to overeat when they are anxious. Also lack of education regarding healthy food is also a common factor.

I guess I can't really speak from experience, but from what you're describing it just sounds like a lack of self control. I mean, you even say you cbf doing it.

Hey, I appreciate your post, first of all. Your issue seems like something a lot of people know all too much about. It's a continuous cycle, you aren't feeling your greatest probably because you aren't very healthy, which causes you to lose motivation to get healthy, and that causes you to not feel as good and you lose motivation and over and over. You aren't alone and that's important to know. Some people have good genetics and it's easy to stay thin, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are healthy. Other people aren't born that way and the only way they stay that way is discipline. It's hard to get started, like anything that is daunting. The hardest part is starting. One thing is important that everyone misses is that working out more is not necessarily the most important thing to focus on. If you don't exercise, yes you should probably start, but a lot of people do exercise and it doesn't seem to help, so they lose motivation. Your diet is so very important, as it seems you already understand. You don't need to stop eating so much, but you do need to watch what you are eating, and when. An easy way to make a difference is an eating window or intermittent fasting or whatever you wish to call it. 12 to 16 hours without eating or drinking calories is super beneficial. Water doesn't count, and as far as I know, black coffee and tea doesn't either. It not only gives your body a window of time to perform while burning fat instead of using incoming carbs and sugar. Okay, you eat dinner at let's say 6:30, then don't eat again that night, sleep, wake up at 6, grab coffee, go to work and take lunch at 12. That's 18 hours. That means that even if you have a quick snack before lunch you can easily hit 14 or even 16 hours without eating. It might not be easy to break habits of eating more often but after a week or two it gets way easier. Fun fact for people who tell you that it's not healthy to skip breakfast, because your body goes into "starvation" mode and burns less fat. Your body goes into "starvation" mode after around 24 hours, so that's nothing to worry about. Next easiest thing for you to slightly improve your eating habits would be to take a relaxed, gradual, step into dieting. Cut out soda, energy drinks, and just any sugary food items, also bread. Sure, it's not going to cause a miracle to happen, but it gives you time to adjust. Move on from there. Start cooking. It will save you money and help your diet. If you work often and are lacking time, it can even save you time to cook a bunch of food on Sunday and pack it into Tupperware for the following week. There are so many simple meals that you can make that will save you from unhealthier fast food meals that actually taste so much better. If you do eat in the morning, don't start your day off with sodium or salty foods. Another thought, I've been losing my guy but gaining weight, because of my muscle gain so don't get discouraged. Anyways I have to wrap this up. I hope I didn't come off as a zealot. I share your struggle and I'm no expert in nutrition, but I wanted to share some things I have learned. Good luck!

Personally I found that at many times I ate for enjoyment and not for hunger. The human body is designed to last days without food, how do you think people in the past got their food? It wasn’t readily available like it is now and you wouldn’t always find food, they were hunters/gatherers. Just think about it that way. If you’re feeling hungry, drink some water. 90 percent of the time that really helps with your hunger, otherwise if it’s been at least 4 hours since your last meal have a relatively small one just to keep u going without losing your mind. Good luck!!

Im overweight and mentally challenged

Habits are hard to both break and form.

The hardest part to losing weight isn't breaking your bad habits. It's forging good ones. A daily workout, proper diet, weigh ins.

It's a tough battle.

As a personal trainer I speak from professional experience when I say the majority of people have the same struggles as you. Even the people who aren't overweight. The only difference between you and them is that they apply themselves. Hardwork is a must so they work work. Limiting calories is a must so they cut back. Exercising is a must so they workout. Everything they're doing, you can do too.

Baby steps, sometimes it accomplishing the small tasks like waking up early and taking a shower that can lead to a great amount of change

I'm not a psychologist, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've found that eating certain foods has a comforting affect when i'm stressed....which is a lot. I've had to work to disassociate those foods with stress relief to avoid stress-eating....forcing myself to just drink more water for instance. From what i've read, this is the reason why some people with low level depression overeat. The food acts as a way for them to relieve the stress of the depression, only to have the weight gain lead to more stress, leading to more eating.

Obesity is not a mental disorder. But it is spreading so rapidly, that the problem is urgent.

RE: Overweight. . A mental disorder?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: Overweight. . A mental disorder?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.

I'm convinced the problem isn't fully understood. It may need a lot of changes. But without understanding the problem, we cannot solve it.

I i guess the hardest step is to mentally change your old habit. But it will get easier if you keep changing. Baby steps.