arrow_upward
Pokémon needs to step up
I've been playing a shit ton of Pokémon rom hacks and I gotta say, Pokémon could be doing so much better right now I'm terms of content. It's clear that they seem to see these roms as threats considering all the takedowns for games like Uranium. Either that or their crazy sense of pride. I feel like maybe there will just be a rom hack so good and original that it could give Game Freak a kick in the ass or something. Probably not too. Thoughts?

Yeah I agree. If you look at something like Star wars for example, it's been able to flesh out it's universe. I feel like pokemon should be on that level but we'll see what they come up with. I don't think anything beats Pokemon red or blue though lol

The issue with Pokemon is that its target audience is kids. We find the ROM hacks more interesting because they’re geared for older players who grew up on Pokemon. I don’t a ROM hack could ever overtake Game Freak because of copyright issues.

That's unlikely to happen, pokemon is partially owned by nintendo and they have shown several times their unwillingness to consider other's opinions.

Exactly. I don't even blame them for churning out this garbage, not when each entry sells something like 15mil. It's just disappointing that there's so much potential with the series, and we'll probably never see it come close to it's full potential.

Absolutely. They've cornered the market with the whole "hundreds of different collectible creatures" thing, but there's so much more they could do with it. They're just lazy and coasting on the huge income basically.

I'd love to see Pokemon become challenging again like it used to be. I Diamond/Pearl was the last generation where I felt that was the case. ROM hacks are cool but I don't think any of them would make the Game Freak change their minds about how the series is going.

Does anyone know what s going on with the moba? ?

Have you played any of the Kaizo romhacks (Blue or Crystal)? I have to say, those add an incredible amount of challenge to the games.

It's even more difficult, because your Pokemon don't gain stat experience. 

If that's not really your speed, with Pokemon blue (maybe pokemon red?) there is an online tool you can use which randomizes the key items that you obtain from the game. You can then feed that into a different randomizer and then you have a completely new and interesting game!

In all honesty Nintendo and Game Freak need to bring in another studio that can support them in making a more interesting RPG. They have studios like Camelot and Monolith Soft in their stable but yet aren't asking them to assist in the development in what is their biggest selling franchise. Nintendo and Game Freak are very set on keeping the Pokemon games the same with the only difference is adding in one big feature.