arrow_upward
Recommendations
Poat recommendations to read on a cozy winter night. Depressing content appreciated.

The Road by Cormac mccarthy

[+] 1 user Likes Negativeshit's post

flowers of evil baudelaire

Bump asking for some more

Oldie but a goodie, try Flowers for Algernon.

Try the First Law trilogy and all other books by Joe Abercrombie. However do read them in order as all books exist in a single universe and plots and characters of past books often have minor or major or important or fleeting roles in subsequent books. We also learn the fate of former protagonists and antagonists when the book is set a decade or two later and follies a new character with some surprising cameos.

Ghe books are grimdark. So there are no happy endings. Good people are like unicorns and often have terrible fates.if your looking for depressing look no further. This series starts by breaking the traditional fantasy story and continues to destriy any hope or faith in humanity you might have had in your life.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson , a pretty light read

An interestingly written book I enjoy a lot is in Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan.

Siddhartha by Herman Hess

Anything by Jack Kerouac.

Some good books to read if you are bored are the Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo, and Lovecraft country. The lucifer effect is a novel that talks about why people act a certain way, and why people are filled with violence. The book goes through different stories and ideas from the past and present to show how we have, or have not changed. And Lovecraft country is a good read because it merges Hp Lovecraft's stories and ideas with oppression through the 50's. Even though I do not like books about that type of material, this one stood out for me

I normally don't like blind recommendations because what I have to suggest could be 180 from what you like. So, I'll just throw a few out there in case you're still keeping up with this thread.

If you want a YA novel, I remember reading Poison by Chris Wooding before I graduated. There's some heartfelt stuff in there and the story is kinda dark for what it is. A lot of melancholy. It's about a girl who sets off into a mystical nightmare world to reclaim her kidnapped sister.

If you want something based on a true story (or rather, based on a diary of someone who lived in WW2 China), there's "13 Flowers of Nanjing." I've seen the movie adaptation. WW2 was a true hell.

Don't have many other books to recommend. Most of my sad stuff is anime.

Game of thrones )

I don’t have recommendations