arrow_upward
Recommendations for SQL/tableau and/or Unity projects
Hi all, I've been making a shift in career choice from bartending to data analytics and dabbling in app design with a former coworker. I was hoping you fine folks could recommend some sites or first projects to sharpen up my skills in either arena. In the case of Unity, I'm looking more at building non-game, utility focused apps. 
Thanks in advance,
Nicknack

Obviously there are a lot of factors I am unaware of when it comes to your current knowledge level.

I have been a database and enterprise application developer for 7 years now.  There is not any one particular way that will be "best" for anyone.  I do strongly encourage you to find something to work on that you enjoy and do it in blocks of a few hours.   Two 3 hour blocks a week, I feel, is better than an hour a day.

You specifically mentioned SQL / Tableau  and or unity.   

If you are relatively uncertain where to start I would recommend leaning Python.  Specifically from the website Real Python.  Do all the tutorials. Then do the Python/Django ones as you will start using SQLite with them.  This would also get you started with Data Science and Machine Learning.

Since you mentioned Unity I would presume you would be interested in improving or learning your C#.  If that is the case I have a strong recommendation for a book called Head First C#.  I found it extremely helpful when starting out. 

If my assumptions are off please let me know and I will try to provide better suggestions or answer any questions you have.

-Tofu

[+] 1 user Likes FriendlyTofu's post
Hi FriendlyTofu,
Thank you for your response, I'll be sure to check out real python and head first! I have a basic understanding of SQL, about as much as Google career certificates offers, but could definitely stand to revisit python as its been a few years. I'm more confident with C#, and looking to build some more hands on experience, I think I used a brain friendly guide to java (same publisher as head first c#) and remember the exercises being helpful. I'll be sure to post on progress, thanks again
Nicknack

Ww3 schools offers a lot of free programming courses and allows you to test the code. They have an activr community.

Also, udemy often offers free courses online for various things like programming, marketing, business, etc

Websites can be Googled, however, wat are your end goal, or are you just trying to learn right now? Because Tableau, while it's nice to learn/to have, licensure is pricy. It's not heavily used in industry, but still better at containing metrics, etc.q