arrow_upward
Rogue like / light
The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Darkest Dungeon, The Legend of Bum-Bo, Hand of Fate, Slay the Spire, Dicey Dungeon...

It may have started indie at first, but Rogue's mechanic of randomly generated content is slowly taking over a part of the industry and is becoming, like RPG-mechanics and battle-royale, the next thing infiltrating every other genre in one way or another. I mean, Rogue was a randomized turn-based permadeath. No unlocks, no card deck, no platforming. We are far from it, but still it's sipping in the minds of a lot of gaming enthousiasts. A virus that can't seem to ever get enough (well, lucky us, it's randomized^^).

Did a quick search on the forum and saw no real topic dedicated to the genre in general so... Any obssession you'd like to share? Any obscure reference you'd like to shine the light on? Debates, discussions?

One thing on my own mind as an example : recently saw the Super Meat Boy Forever and... ain't that genius really. Hundreds of puzzle obstacles that can combine and have a hardcore version so that each seed gets its own rhythm. It's a randomized game where you CAN get better after a while. And the fact that it's a runner... let's just say it doesn't make it less ectic than it was when non-randomized level design and freedom of momentum were things.^^ I was impressed and I think it's a new step that really could be build upon by concurrents.

[+] 3 users Like DennisArtart's post
Around a month ago a friend got me to play Risk of Rain 2, which is the first rouge like game I've played. Ever since I got it, it's the only game I've played. It is so addicting. It is my drug. Im looking forward to playing more games like it. 

The new update for Call of Duty caught my attention with the Outbreak mode. It has the potential to be rouge like. Apparently you go to different maps to complete objectives while trying to survive hordes of zombies. It would be cool if you are allowed to loop to see how long you could last while also getting harder as you go.

[+] 1 user Likes tacqiza's post
Yow try the game "Hades" the art style is good and the game story is really good also the NPC dialogue is not repetative

[+] 1 user Likes Grimm Lock's post
Hey, Hades gets even farther from the original formula with a deep story and chara-dev, that was a surprise. A great one. Another that stepped up the genre as a whole by going farther than a simple loop.

Risk of Rain I can only stand some characters. The sound design destroys my brain at some point with the repetitiveness. But damn the rest of the game is great. Hard. I'm soooo sh*it, but good.

I'm slowely going back to The Binding of Isaac myself. I've done the hardest challenges and just need the other characters to be complete for a true 100%, that won't be 100% anymore in a few month. Ultimate version is coming and it looks completely f'ed up with content.

I personally enjoyed the new Spelunky 2 a lot. Although many people complained that it was a tad bit too hard, it felt like a refreshing change to the genre. No more training wheels.

Yeah Spelunky 2 is brutal. Dark Souls players be like "game is hard because you have to observe, pay attention" -> Spelunky 2 be like "Game be hard and here are 30 seconds left have fun"^^

I obsessively played Enter the Gungeon a year or so back. Great design, funny art style, pretty brutal imo

(is chess a rogue game? haha)

Sounds like HADES is right up your alley. Give it a shot

hades is top stuff