arrow_upward
Sequels that are better than the original
Is it possible? Thinking maybe movies like Terminator 2, or some of the Max Max series. Or even Toy Story 3 over 1/2.

Terminator 2 is good, i really liked matrix 2 also

Many argue godfather 2 may be better than the original. Both are amazing

Terminator 2 and godfather 2 are both strong contenders. Jaws 2 not so much

Matrix 2 is an unusual pick!

Godfather 2 is fair but as for Godfather 3...hmm. A bridge too far.

Haha godfather 1 and 2 are in a completely different dimension from number 3

The Marvel-verse is filled with them. Ragnarok, Infinity War, Winter Soldier, Logan, etc.

I think in general it just applies well to any superhero'ish movie since the first movies are usually dragged down by the typical and, unfortunately, boring 'becoming the hero' story arcs.

I don't think it applies to many other genres, where it is rarer to see sequels beat the originals.

X2: X-Men United (2003)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back

I would be hard-pressed to say Terminator 2 is better than Terminator. The original one is also a masterpiece.

Alien sequel is just as good, maybe even better to the original.

The Alien squel in more onthe action side. A good movie, but not exactly the same vibe as the first.

Terminator 2 is the school case of a sequel better than the first.
Batman the Dark Knight for sure is better than Begins (which is already a great movie)

Agreed on dark knight

Batman trilogy (2 and 3)

Is everyone going to sit here and leave out the most obvious choice, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

All the ones I originally came in here to say have already been said so I had to really reach deep in the bag for this, but I think there's a pretty good argument for Blade 2

Blade 1 was good in its own right as a straightforward vampire-action movie, but I think Blade 2 was all-around better in terms of story, cool characters, and even the design of vampires having the alien-like jaws was at least new and interesting

But its also been a long time since I watched either of them

The Dark Knight. The trilogy itself is pretty good but the second one was always my favorite of the 3.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Captain America the winter soldier