arrow_upward
Simple game development for somebody with zero programming experience
What route do you recommend a person goes if they want to get into making simple solo video game projects but have no programming experience?

Start learning C# and use unity. Find a course on udemy.

[+] 1 user Likes TheParadigm's post
Is C# not too difficult to jump right into as a beginner?

YouTube should be your help here. Try to go for something not so complex like flappy bird typa stuff

[+] 1 user Likes Killersingh11's post
Just start with C# and something easy like pong. And then just add extra features. When youre done you can start with another easy but still a little more difficult game for example star destroyers. A lot of people trying to get into programming try to do stuff thats very difficult for a beginner and because of that they quickly lose interest. And as always there is a lot of good tutorials om youtube.

Okay I'll try C# since that's what most people say to go for, thanks guys

If you can get really good at game development try reading books, they are one of the best resources.  If that isn't good for you,  youtube is really great for learning how to make a game on unity.

Above all, *fail faster*. You'll learn from a completed bad game. Not an unfinished "maybe good" one.

I still feel kind of lost, does anybody have any good resources for beginner tutorials

Your biggest challenge in programming games that "look" easy is AI. A lot of the challenge in an RPG or adventure game comes from how smart the enemies are, and all that stuff is very difficult to program and test - so don't do it. The same goes for math, don't mess around with noise functions and procedural generation. What you need to make are games with predictable, set challenges and premade assets. Things like Tomb of the Mask, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds, Tower Defense games, etc are all examples of easy-to-program games

Play Wario Ware D.I.Y  :)

Brackeys on youtube is amazing for Unity C# tutorials, I think it's more focused on how to do specific things though, and doesn't have a full fledged beginner tutorial, Udemy has some great courses, I liked Ben Tristem's Unity 3d course, very good teacher.