arrow_upward
Start learning C while learning Python
I'm a beginner programmer, I've started learning Python at the beginning of this year and haven't been very diligent with it. I want to take it seriously. I'm taking an intermidiate Python 3 course (halfway through), but I've always wanted to learn a C or C++ and I heard that I should learn a harder language than Python to grasp harder concepts. C attracts me a lot, should I learn the two simultaneously? Or should I wait to start the C course? And how hard/easy would it be to learn C++ when I already knwo C?

I honestly recommend that you just learn C++, C is a really good language but C++ is just more modern and more widely used right now.

Python is a great language to learn, it being "easy" is not a bad thing: the syntax is easy so you can focus on just learning the concepts. C/C++ are good in that they teach you a lot of lower-level concepts such as memory management and pointers that aren't so common in higher-level stuff like JS and Python... but I wouldn't jump ship now, just get to a point where you're comfortable enough with Python to build some stuff and then branch out if you want.

C++ is very similar to C syntax-wise, but has a lot more features. It won't be too hard to learn C++ _syntax_ if you know C, but there are a ton more concepts to internalize.

I'd say that learning the concepts of things like memory management and pointers only made me appreciate not having to worry about them in higher level languages.
Writing complex state machines in embedded c for example is kinda just gross.

[+] 1 user Likes billybobb241231's post
cant agree more! solid fundemantals will make learning any language much easier