arrow_upward
Survival game recommendation
With the release of Valheim, I was looking to get into the survival game genre. I've never been much of a fan, as it seems like a lot of little details to worry about in terms of managing resources. I've also heard that Valheim can be quite grindy when played solo.

What would be a good survival game to play solo that isn't too grindy?

[+] 1 user Likes nissyack's post
ive heard rust is a decent game but i havent personally played it. Dying light is an amazing game but im not sure it is the same type of survival game as you are reffering too.

I mean if you haven't played it, Minecraft is obviously one of the best survival games to play.

For survival glore, indies is the way to go. But you'll always have to dig through a lot to find the best ones if not using a specialized site.

Minecraft is indeed one of the best answers you'll get, as it offers accessible survival gameplay, while having a lot of possibilities to make it more difficult or, on the contrary, way easier to enjoy 5-6 other types of gameplay (exploration, building, redstone, farms, etc.). But... voxels aren't for everyone...^^

On the 2D landscape, Don't Starve isn't a classic for nothing. And The Survivalist seems to be a great new one in the genre (only played a few hours tho).

The Forest and 7 Days to Die are both classics with a horror twist. The Forest is still a bit buggy and I guess it will stay that way, and the horror is gruesome. 7 Days to Die is a more complex game but it's been in alpha for 8 years now. They are active, but they don't seem to stop and you won't have a definitive save in that situation.

One original proposition I could make is The Sims 2 : Casteway. A chill twist on the survival game with a decent gameplay loop and tech tree before a few endings, including Sims-needs and Sims-humor.

I'd suggest a few more but the problem with most of those is the same as Valheim : if there is a lot to do, there is a lot to grind. Subnautica, Raft and Grounded are more colorful and a bit less grindy for example, but it's always one limit or the other.

As mentioned above, I’d also recommend 7 days to die. But Rust is good too however you need friends to make it fun.

The Forest is fun and scary. With a few friends it can be really fun and quite hard.

a good survival game would be dont starve

[+] 1 user Likes Holiday-Dragonfly-33's post
Conan Exiles on a server with higher rates. Not grindy at all and a crazy amount of stuff to do

Dayz Zombie survival