arrow_upward
The elephant in the room: let's talk about editors.
I read some threads here and there. A lot of people are looking for advices to get started, and usually the focus is on programming languages. However in my own experience a good editor has made the difference from giving up after a while to getting hyped to learn new stuff. I've been an Emacs user for about two years now and it improved my skills a lot. It's very unlikely I'll switch to others now.

What's your experience on picking editors?

I started with simply Notepad and a compiler. I think a lot of people do. To learn the basics you do not need the advanced features of an editor. It will hover help a lot when you are finished learning and want to make "real" programs instead of only doing excercises.

Like above said, when learning for the first time it's definitely not required for you to know the ins and outs of an editor. As you progress further into your career as a programmer it becomes more signifigant.

For the start, any text editor (not MS Word!) works. I am happy with Atom - intuitive and tons of packages to extend to all your needs

As I was referring to Emacs, of course one is not meant to exploit every feature of a good editor from the very beginning. However as soon as someone is doing more than just writing a few commands on a script (for instance, if one is willing to start Think Python and complete it) it helps to delegate the editor doing a few things: autocomplete small strings, different colour and font for variables, values, strings, etc. Moreover, one starts to appreciate what an editor is able to do and save a lot of time.

Depending on what language you're using I'd recommend IntelliJ IDEA, might sound like I'm advertising but I use it personally and it's really useful.

VS code is actually a genius piece of software

vs code is pretty good to learn

Notepad++ or sublime is a good starting point for interpreted languages, then VS code for more intensive stuff. The full fledged Visual Studio for .NET programming.

Mmm really the editor is no that important at the beggining, just dont start with notepad lol.
I started with sublime text, wich is awesome cause you can personalize EVERYHING. Is very modular.
I favor my current IDE that is VScode, out of the box already offer amazing features so to me is a plus.

I use Vim. I often even install gVim on Windows cause I wind up missing its utility. IMO its the most useful to know how to use, even at a basic level, if you ever expect to be regularly interacting with linux machines via just a terminal, as it's almost always installed even on pretty bare bones boxes.

The first editor I've used was CodeBlocks, while I was in uni, but when I started with actual programming, I went to Sublime Text to develop an android app. The current I'm using is VSCode, which seems suitable for most things and is also beginner friendly, I think.

VS Code is taking over, they are gaining a lot of fans!