arrow_upward
The reality of procrastination
Procrastination affects us all in some way or form. I've learned methods to combat it and ways of thinking around it. But I still am affected by it. Even when I write this thread im procrastinating. Im really bad with schedules and structure. I always work in quick bursts but it makes my procrastination worse. How do you guys combat procrastination?

[+] 2 users Like newkix's post
Fill the time with physical fitness progress.  Running, biking, working out etc makes you feel like you accomplished something.  That then makes you want to do more stuff.  Its the only upward spiral I've found.

[+] 1 user Likes snpr100001's post
Just do one thing at a time

i need actual deadlines to function. When i know when i need something done, i can make actual plans to finish it. If i dont have any pressure nothing gets done.

I dont... I still suffer with extreme procrastination

wish i knew frankly

I found that really separating work time from free time helped. For instance, no work is allowed to be done on weekends. This makes the actual workdays feel more "serious" and helps prevent procrastination. It also makes the weekends better since I can relax more knowing that I don't have to do any work.

[+] 1 user Likes illiaden2's post
One trick I read somewhere was to count to five when you want to do something new or try to do it for five minutes and it won’t seem as bad

Imo, the only direct way to battle it is making short term, S.M.A.R.T. goals. Perspective is everything and I have a habit of losing it but I put up a cork board next to my table where I put up these short goals, and whenever I complete one i put the sticky on a stack I'm making, I've been doing it for a couple of months and it actually seems to be working (not that its perfect)

Making a schedule and forcing myself to stick to it

This sounds really obvious and kinda dumb, but I find the best way to counteract procrastination is to just sit down, remove myself from all distractions, and force myself at it. It's usually really difficult and I don't make much progress for the first fifteen minutes, but eventually I find I shift gears and are able to make progress if I don't give myself an out.

procrastination is something i can never escape or anyone can will just always happen

[+] 1 user Likes RJ899's post
I always try to make a schedule for my lerning with a little reward för every "step". Like solving 3 exercises and then i get a piece of chocolate or a cigarette

bills to pay + need to eat + need to pay rent + have no one to succumb to you = procastination 0%

or think about what you want to do in a way that bothers you

Go to the library!!

[+] 1 user Likes Jimmy Obama's post
Going out is the first step definitely, there's no way to combat procrastination its all in the mind, for me it gets minimised when I go outside as I feel uncomfortable with being judged by people for doing nothing, so it kind of works for me

Having so much on my schedule that time becomes a privilege, not a luxury. I notice that procrastination only happens when I take time for granted, and I take it for granted when I get to say what to do with my time, and if I have a lot of it.

Vyvance and list making. Also keep moving when you can, doesn't have to be the gym. Even tinkering in the garage or walking or even gardening if that's your thing.

My depression and fears have made me neglect my health, both physical and mental for many years. You get stuck in loops like that unless you stop thinking about it for just a moment and make a move, whatever that may be it. Doing much better now and regret procrastinating my doctor visits etc. In the end, if you can do something today, don't leave it for tomorrow because it will probably get worse and pile up

I feel this, for me when everything started looking bright (Had my scheduled more organized and filled with productive activities) this Pandemic hits in and I get sucked into procrastination again, I been trying to use tools at home for the good, like YouTube for tutorials and documentaries but is not the same. Hoping you get inspired and break this habit.