arrow_upward
Thoughts about Rust
I'm just starting to learn the language, but is it really the silver bullet that everyone is looking for? I'm not sure about the whole rewrite it in Rust thing. What are your thoughts

What are you working on? Some awesome modern CLI tools are written in Rust that are pretty awesome.

I'm working on a reverse proxy. Trying to see how far I can get.  Do you recommend any resources

I never got why rust was exactly invented.. From what I gathered it's as fast as C++ so why not just learn C++? I get some languages are good at doing things over others but this language really seems like its just reinventing the wheel.

I think rust is very good for system programming. 

U should use the right tool for the right job

Never liked it personally, i always chose to use c++ instead, because of stronger foundation and community around it.

[+] 1 user Likes Flinttttt's post
Pretty much the same here. If you can i would stick to c++

In addition to being pretty much "the best C++ tooling + practices" right out of the box, it has an incredible community, probably the best out of any popular programming language out there right now.
It's extreme runtime speed and low resource usage might not be needed everywhere, but the strong type system (with informative and friendly error messages!) helps with the correctness of any program.
Also, the borrowchecker is unlikely to be ported anywhere as a linter in full capacity, as the ownership concepts are integrated at syntax level.

So, all in all, C++ is a usable and useful language today, but if you are able to use Rust, it's easier to learn to an intermediate level and above, has hassle-free tooling, and literally the best community.