arrow_upward
Thoughts on the rise in popularity of Gacha games with Genshin Impact?
Gacha games have never reached the mainstream, especially out here in the US. Genshin Impact is really the only gacha game that has reached a very large playerbase in the west. While gacha games in general still aren't mainstream, Genshin Impact has a huge amount of players that have never touched a Gacha game or "anime game" in general. Is Genshin Impact a one off game that is gonna fall off along with gacha game popularity in the west or is the rise of Genshin Impact a seed for other gacha games to be popular. Personally I think that Genshin Impact is a one off type of deal. Thoughts?

[+] 1 user Likes skrrskrr02's post
On one hand, Gacha done right can be really cool because it’s an easy way for the devs to make a lot of money which can then be used to make the base game better. For example, a gacha with cosmetics and other things that don’t affect gameplay. I don’t mind those at all.

I personally don’t really like the gachas where they lock gameplay behind a roulette, so I hope genshin isn’t the start of something like that. There’s a way to do gachas that isn’t unfair to the players, I hope games go that way instead.

I've heard of it. It's just another addictive gatcha game. My friend wanted me to jump on board, I didn't cus I know at some point I'm gonna have to spend money on it to keep up. RNG hardly ever goes in my favor.. I rather spend some cash on a game I only have to pay for once, to access all it's features. Like a single player RPG.

It's more of a breath of the wild with gacha slapped on which is what led to its success. More "traditional" gacha games are a lot more focused on the gacha aspect

As long as it ain't p2w I really couldn't mind. Genshin was fun for a while for me but after I realised I had to spend hours grinding for a character I gave up on it, it doenst make it fun if all you have to do is pay and gamble.

[+] 1 user Likes Fable Art's post
I've always felt these games are evil manipulators out for cash grabs. Sure there are good ones with no pay to win mechanics and such but those are few and far between, any big title gacha is automatically an ad farm/whale farm.