arrow_upward
Tips when learning API's?
I have a pretty descent base knowledge in programming, I get most of the concepts like OOP, data structure, file handling, recursion etc. Now, though I'm looking to learn a graphic API, OpenGL to be precise, diving into the endless pages of methods can be quite tiring, I'm also looking at some tutorials on how to create basic stuff, how to pipeline works, how to code vertexbuffers and so on. Anyone experienced at learning API's who can share some tips?

Hard to learn APIs without just brute forcing your way thru the documentation. not many tutorials. mostly you just have to read it like a text book until you get it

[+] 1 user Likes digitalsonic's post
API is a very generic concept. Anytime you code pretty much anything you are using some other library / api to help do your job. Your question shouldnt be about APIs in general but whatever specific API you are trying to work with i.e OpenGL

As bob said above, its more to do with the library that you're wanting to use - no documentation? just gotta pick apart the code really

The best way in learning something new is doing it.

You want to learn OpenGL? So just pic a small part perhaps where a tutorial exists and code along it. So you get familiar with the API and the Framework. OpenGL should have a decent documentation so if you have questions you can read there.

There are so many APIs it's pointless to learn just one and study it for memorization. It's a tool you use to accomplish something and you discard it when you don't need it. Just take the pieces you need to complete a project and if you use it enough you'll be decent. If you don't use it that often then was it really worth spending time learning?

Another thing to keep in mind is that it helps to learn from others who might have more experience. With complicated SDKs like OpenGL, there's a million ways to do something. You might figure out one way from reading the docs, but miss that there's a much more efficient way by approaching the problem differently. You can try to find some mailing lists, user groups, github projects, or get a job and work with a team.

I think your question is more specific to just learning Open GL. API is a very generic term and simply is just how you interact and utilize a piece of software. Unfortunately some are very complex or in your case require heavy documentation reading. It's a lot of trial and error and just getting accustomed to the platform