arrow_upward
Too many streaming services
What do you guys think about the recent growth in all of these streaming platforms (I.e. HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Disney Plus, etc)? I personally that’s it’s absolutely absurd how everyone and their mother now has their own streaming services. And most of the time, I only want to watch 1-2 shows on that network but they ask you to pay the entire entry fee to access it which I think is just dumb, not to mention the fact that those fees add up quickly if you want legitimate access to all of those platforms. The market is over saturated with streaming services and gone are the days when you could actually pay for just one service and have access to pretty much everything you wanted, which is a damn shame

[+] 1 user Likes Singulaire's post
Oh, I've discussed this topic a couple of times with friends. Basically my main point is that the whole reason streaming services became so popular was the convenience of having instant access to a vast library of shows and movies for an extremely low price, comparatively. When you have all of these different streaming platforms, each with a different library and subscription fee, you're removing everything that made them so attractive in the first place, so people would start to flock back to cable TV or piracy.
The proper and most logical solution to this problem would be to let the market reach economic equilibrum and have competitive supply prices for the demand. Unfortunately, brand loyalty is so strong with entertainment companies nowadays that if Disney charged 50 bucks for their streaming service, there's bound to be some dumbfuck whales that'll pay it.

At least it's not like subscribtions to sport streaming services, they can go for like €50 each!

It's doomed to fail in the end. A lot of services have been struggling and I'm sure it's much harder to advertise on streaming platforms. I don't if DCUniverse is still a thing, but all their content like Doom Patrol moved to HBO max. I think it's going to be put into a weird spot where all the companies are going to put all content on one app for maybe $20 and it's just going to flop. 8 ads per commercial break turns into 3 (given they are longer), but I'm sure it's a smaller audience. And I don't know if advertisers are going to realize that showing a guy watching something like 6 Geico ads, 3 ford ads and 2 other ads isn't going to make them buy a product. It also takes out local advertisers like car dealerships or those as seen on TV things. I think if anything cable is going to come back in a way like a service that bundles various streaming apps.

[+] 1 user Likes NovaScottsBoy's post
Yeah we are basically back at the cable model, especially with the coordinated price hikes.

[+] 1 user Likes mapsbackwards's post
It's getting pretty bad
Streaming sites like Disney are going to do well with families that rewatch, but I can't see their content stream being too frequent, especially with covid.
We juggle a few streaming apps, but it's getting a bit much now

its like the greed is pushing people back to piracy

[+] 1 user Likes jackmaster69's post
Its gonna come down to a fight between disney and amazon anyway.

Its starting to get quite annoying having to pay for multiple streaming sites, I think people are going to pirate more content because of this.

This is right on the nose. Someone above mentioned the coordinated price hikes. YouTube TV is a perfect example. It's now the same price as purchasing cable TV in my area. The reason I left cable was because I was paying too much for a bunch of channels I don't want l watch. Started on YouTube TV, tried Sling, Hulu TV etc. None of them provided enough of what we watched for the price point we were paying.

For my household what it will come down to is picking one streaming service at a time. Want to watch an HBO series? We'll pay for a month or two of HBO. Netflix series that we want to watch or rewatch?, same. We keep a running list of all shows and movies we're interested in and want to watch. This helps us know what service we'll pick for the next few months. Anyone else have use a smiliar strategy?

The only thing we're really missing is local news but even that has turned into political garbage so we don't feel like it's a huge missing piece at the moment.

Your not wrong on this one

The big three gonna probably survive other not so much sure like netflix is expensive but it is good disney plus have a lot of stuff prime videos will be there if u want that fast shipping. Others like peacock and quibi might have a shot if content is right but then there will be to many to afford.Hell even giants like google failed with its youtube originals. HBO Max can be good it does have all the warner media stuff and other hbo content it can compete with others. But i dont think it is easy to sustain more than three streaming services.