arrow_upward
Travel safety
How do you guys ensure that an area that you're visiting on vacation is safe? I'm talking about traveling far away from your home country to a place for the first time with a different national language.... Any thoughts? Cheers...

[+] 2 users Like Futurepm72's post
Ummm... Look at web reviews of whatever city/town/district you're going to. Do ALOT of research....

I would look at restrictions, tons, and tons of Googling.

Travel.state.gov has travel advisories that can act as a starting point for additional research into potential hazards present in certain countries.

Don't let the advisories there dissuade you from going somewhere though! They tend to make the world sound scarier than it is.

Depending on what sort of experience you're looking for I'd say make it easy on yourself and start with somewhere touristy. Even if you go halfway around the globe to a place with a drastically different language and culture you'll be fine if the people there are already thoroughly accustomed to dealing with english speaking foreigners.

Read up on common scams though!

[+] 1 user Likes Whollyunknown's post
As others have said, a lot of research goes a long way.

Don't travel to lesser-travelled countries first, but stick to your major travel destinations. Stay out of known no-go zones. And follow the rest of the advice you find in this thread.

make sure the area is safe from reports, emergencies

make sure it doesnt have a bad reputation and yolo