arrow_upward
Want to change to Linux
We're do I start ?

A few online searches can help you on that. All you need to do is to download the Linux image you want to your PC. Then create a bootable USB drive (use software and attach the Linux image). Simply plug it into your PC, and reboot, it should detect it. If that doesn't work, go into your BIOS, and change your boot priority so it boots from the USB first..

I've been thinking about this too. What are some of the pros and cons of using Linux?

Why you want to go on linux?

pdlndr Wrote:Why you want to go on linux?
Maybe because windows 10 is basically spyware and MacOs isnt viable. From a cursory glance it seems like Linux is becoming the most viable option to have a stable PC that is both protected (and not a mac).

Noneyya Wrote:I've been thinking about this too. What are some of the pros and cons of using Linux?
Pros:
- great communities who are willing to help
- freedom in the software you use
- most of the software you could install by using the software repository of the distribution
   - no need to download software from 50 or more sites, to build up your tool chain
- huge hardware support - most of the time, you don't need to install a separate driver
- privacy/security
- sometimes, the command line is quicker than the same task in windows

Cons:
- the switch from your actual operating system - the behavior (it is not really a con, but it took some effort to learn/understand how to use it)
- not every windows program is able to run under linux
- game support

i'm thinking of switching.

i'm thinking of switching.

The first step is to change from paid or freeware programs you use now, to open source programs. Sites like AlternativeTo can help. Learning to use LibreOffice instead of MS Office. Or GIMP instead of Photoshop. These are available for Windows too. Once all the software you use is available on Linux, there will be a time of adjustment, but the transition will be easy. Linux is a better system.

Always back up your data before installing. Try Ubuntu, or Mint, or Fedora. They have USB images, easy to test out the system before switching.