arrow_upward
What are you grateful for that you've never had to do?
Related to programming and IT jobs in general, is there any task that you've absolutely dreaded and have managed to avoid in your career?

Mine is inheriting an SQL database that's poorly structured and having to salvage it somehow. The amount of horror stories of companies not knowing what they're doing and then letting database problems compound until they almost make the db unusable when adding new features to some app are too damn high. I understand why database management is an entire profession.

If you've inherited an SQL database you should definitely ask for more pay if you have to maintain it on top of your regular duties -- or, ask your regular duties to be taken over, and ask your title be database manager (so you can devote all your time to the SQL). Like you said, maintaining a database is a full time job.

If they don't find you valuable enough, start polishing that resume.

I hated having to write our pipelines for CI builds.

i never had to learn how to program thank god for stackoverflow i just faked being an engineer for 22 years.

[+] 1 user Likes mm7on's post
My friend told me his older brother would handwrite his code when he was young and go to the library to type it up and run it
He is 30 - 40 now
It is nice to have all the knowledge of the internet very easily

Never had to pay for gpu usage...yet