arrow_upward
What are your thoughts on Taylor Swift loosing the rights to her older music?
Regardless of what you think of her music.  What do you think of an artist having their music purchased out from underneath them without even having an option to purchase it themselves?

[+] 1 user Likes robjoin2's post
havent heard about this yet. going to look it up

That's messed up. Them dodgy record contracts

Ya man, they'll screw you over bad, especially when you are new to the industry and inexperienced. Just look at what happened with TLC, money wise at least, not sure about rights of music.

That is really messed up!  The suits will do anything to make a buck. 
The suits make money off of the fans.  They then screw over the artist who created the fans. 
Then they sell the music back to the fans but it doesn't support the person they idolize.
wtf

I dont heard anything about this

Businesses are out there to make money. In principal this sounds bad, but it's possible Taylor would not be as successful as she is now without the label's help.

I think her old record label didn't give her a chance to buy her rights because they were pissed about her leaving the label.  i heard they gave other artists on the label a chance to buy back their rights.

That's messed up.

Yeah like I get it sounds bad, but I don't think there is any obligation to sell her back her rights. It's the cost of the business. Like she willingly gave up her rights initially, she shouldn't expect to get it back, unless that was the contract.

robjoin2 Wrote:Regardless of what you think of her music.  What do you think of an artist having their music purchased out from underneath them without even having an option to purchase it themselves?
Lol that in itself sounds stupid. If an artist loses their OWN rights to their OWN music then why should I even be producing my own music if its just going to be taken away from me. That sucks.

I can sleep with it Big Grin

That's the music business for you.

I think it's complete BS, any artist who creates the music should be the sole holder to it. The others are just trying to profit off them.

That does not sound fair.

Woohh... hadn’t heard of that, will be doing a bit of research but seems sketchy...

another example of corporate greed. although for taylor swift now its about not the money but more just the principle