arrow_upward
What are your views about RMT (real money trading) in online games?
I play a semi popular online arpg game with a very active RMT scene, RMT is not allowed per rule obviously, but is pretty obvious a lot of players do it and almost no one ever gets banned.

I started looking around a bit more and found out that, at my current play level, I can easily make $50-100 bucks a week just by playing the game like usual. Which is not a lot of money considering all the hours I put in, but still decent pocket change in these trying times.

You hear this a lot but why is RMT even a bad thing for the game anyway? In my opinion I don't see what's wrong with doing what I what with the virtual money I made?

[+] 1 user Likes omnisin's post
I think its mainly cause if someone gets scammed, they run to the devs complaining that they got scammed, and the devs tell them theres nothing they can do, and the person that got scammed attempts to escalate the situation. It really just makes more hassle for them in the long run if they get nothing out of it, doesnt mean you can't/shouldnt do it tho lol

It incentivizes the wrong behavior. If they allow it then games become pay to win, so it's not really fun for other users that way. That's why companies try to disguise it in micro transactions.

RMT ruins the ingame market. While you think it may be as simple as "why cant i do what i want with ingame money i earned", unfortunately it is not.

The result of allowing RMT often ends up being an infestation of bot accounts. The host of the bots (might be one bot, might be many bots) reaps the benefit of no effort irl cash and dumps the ingame currency back into the game. Again, you might think "thats good, more money for everybody" but it doesnt work that way. The honest people are left playing the game as intended, relying on rng for drops or slowly building money. End result is they cant keep up with the people doing RMT. The market for items become inflated and impossible for non-RMT players to make enough money to keep up with end game/newest content.

Pay to win makes things unfair for those who can't or aren't willing to pay extra money in a game just to be on a level playing ground. I don't like RMT for this reason in many games, though you do see implementations of RMT in games like CS:GO where the alterations occur in the form of skins that don't actually modify gameplay and don't give an advantage to the buyers no matter the price.

Money laundering is also a concern, and game devs don't want to get tied up in such discussions.

I would say just be careful with using these cuz they can us the information they steal from you.

RMT ruins the fun in most games. It's purposely added in games that you have to grind out hours and days of game play to reach a certain point, which ultimately most people give in to and pay. Hate those type of games and game companies (-->EA).