arrow_upward
What do you hope PS6~ consoles will be like?
I guess this is mostly aimed at console gamers, but what would you like to see from the next generation of consoles after the PS5? I feel that adding the ability to customise or upgrade hardware would basically just make it a PC, so I guess the main upgrades will just be performance based. What features do you hope for?

I hope it's neither digital nor cloud based, I'd honestly hate if they went in that direction. Sadly, I feel like it's pretty much inevitable at some point in time. Regarding the more technical side of the matter it's pretty much a shot in the dark, as the PS5 already features the most recent technological advancements such as a fast SSD, ray- racing, and a CPU with a high core/thread count. With all this new stuff, the constrains associated with 7th/8th gen gaming (e.g. inability to stream assets instantly due to a slow HDD, reduced NPC count and lack of interactibility with the environment due to the terrible CPUs, static lighting due to lack of ray-tracing etc.) should no longer be a thing, but I'll withhold my judgment until I see some proper next gen games. Only thing I can hope for right now it's full blown path tracing, which would be the next step in the ray tracing technology that allows an even more accurate simulation of light bounces. However it's a pretty resource-intensive technique to implement, and as of today only graphically simple games like Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX feature it. Also, not sure if PS5 supports an upscaling tech similar to DLSS, which uses AI to render at a higher resolution (e.g. you set your game to 1440p and DLSS makes it look like legit 4k), and if it doesn't it would be neat to see, as focusing too much on achieving "true" 4k or, god forbid, 8k, seems like a waste of resources.

The world will never mass adopt 4k due to the entry of cost. Upgrading from 720 to 1080 in resolution was necessary for the general population due to TV screen size increase, but 1080 with 40-60 inch TVs have a great sweet spot to discourage people from buying 4k. Not to mention people are generally clueless about tech so they buy the biggest cheaper monitors or TV, which is lower res.

I don't think they will enforce 4k, if they listen to gamers they'll prioritize stable and strong FPS, better internet latencies, cross-platform on everything, access to old gen games, better ergonomic and responsive controllers, VR, increased interactivity with smart phones, etc.

Consoles will have to keep up with PCs and easily provide other forms of entertainment, like videos and movies but do it better than PC somehow, provide a virtual social hub (like mii but better that everyone wants to adopt), etc.

I have other ideas but I would be rambling at this point