arrow_upward
What do you think about Brazilian jujitsu for self defense?
I'm considering learning jujitsu, But I'm not sure how practical it is for a self defense situations one might encounter in their day to day life. Any insights to share?

Any martial art is good for self defense. Most of them are geared toward that. So choose whichever one want you train on, and go for it. Don't half ass it.

[+] 1 user Likes olichan12's post
Faraz Zahabi, the coach of (arguable) GOAT GSP, says that BJJ is the best thing to learn for self-defense because so many fights go to the ground.

[+] 1 user Likes samw34099's post
BJJ seems like a really good option for self defense. As samw34099 said, most fights usually end up on the ground so being able to defend yourself in that position will be extremely useful as a lot of people are unfamiliar with some of the principles of grappling. The only potential downside is that BJJ is mainly a 1v1 system, that's not to say that skills such as muay thai and boxing will allow you to defend yourself against multiple people but BJJ can leave you more vulnerable as you're likely to be on the floor. A lot of BJJ gyms actually teach striking martial arts too so maybe you could give that a go if interested but even practicing BJJ gives you better self defence than the vast majority of people. Read quite often on MMA forums that the best defense is unironically to practice your running/sprinting, even trained MMA fighters have ended up in serious danger in various situations so I think being able to run effectively is invaluable

i think best part about bjj for self defense is that you get real practice, becuz you can roll/spar at full strength very early on