arrow_upward
What language should I start with?
I want to learn how to program.  What language would be the most useful to start with?

[+] 2 users Like Retox445's post
If it's just for general use, python is probably the most easily applicable.

[+] 1 user Likes throwaway24609's post
python definitely more easier than c and other languages.

[+] 1 user Likes Rusf11's post
Quote: I want to learn how to program. What language would be the most useful to start with?
English. All the syntax is based on it.

I think Python is a good choice. It is not hard core programming syntax wise, but it teaches you a lot of core concepts and has huge resources available.

Definitely Python.
Once you get to intermediate level, try system level languages like Rust.

Started myself with html and javascript, but after learning python i can definetely agree with all of the above Smile

Quote:English. All the syntax is based on it.

Haha, the got'em answer. These threads are so prevalent, and recycled. :/

Python is probably the best language to begin with. Then maybe move on to java.

^ if you know Python, you don't want to learn Java.

It depends what you want to do. If you want to make android apps, learn kotlin, ios apps learn swift. For just general learning I'd recomend python. Though C++ or C# would also bee good places to start.

It really depends on you, back end or/and front end, i use c# but python is great to initate if you go for front end you can learn html,css and then javascript, this 3 pretty much go together

As some stated, it really depends on what you wish to build. I would start from there.

Python is the way to go buddy

It really does depend on what you want to program for and thus more detail is needed for a proper answer to this question.

Python is probably the easiest language to understand syntactically, I think if you are looking to getting a career in software development starting with web development (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and eventually React and the MERN stack) would be a good option because many entry level positions are front end developers, so it's definitely a good skill to learn to get some experience to start off.

Can anyone recommend any Python content/learning materials?

python is a good one

Best method is to determine what you want to do with your programming skills, then find out what programming languages are used for that type of work. But if you just want to learn, it doesn't really matter what you start with, you can always jump around to other languages later.

Any language.