arrow_upward
What programming language should I learn for Android app
Hey guys.

So I would like to learn android development.

Have seen people use Java, Kotlin, Xamarin, Flutter.

Would like to know which one you use/prefer ?

Kaitlin is were the fuzz is. Try that!

Java if you want to start from basic, then move to Kotlin when you're comfortable enough. Or start straight to Kotlin is also fine.
I prefer to start from native implementation before inspecting cross-platform alternatives (React Native, Flutter, Xamarin). But if you're comfortable with JavaScript, React Native is the go to, especially with the recent improvement in their Hermes engine.

[+] 1 user Likes blangszutan's post
Kotlin. Google is moving away from Java due to legal implications from Oracle. Never touched Kotin and worked with Java for eight years but I heard Kotlin is much easier to learn. Look in your area which has more job postings as well.

I would recommend Java over kotlin. Kotlin has a lot of syntactic sugar but in my opinion its a bit too much. There are so many different ways of writing the same code that do basically the same thing. This is great when you are more advanced and can leverage these differences, but as a beginner it just adds unecessary complexity

Thanks for all for you advice (i read it)!!

It depends on what programming languages that you are interested to. I was a .NET developer, and I chose XAMARIN to create a mobile apps because I don't want to waste my time learn for something new (I was a programmer in a private company, so I couldn't afford many times to learn new technologies).

The same also applies to JAVA and Kotlin, if you had any experience writing codes using specific language, then you should go with that language.

If you have no experience in those languages, I think JAVA is the best start. By learning JAVA, you can also use C# without any problem