arrow_upward
What's the appeal of battle royale games?
Not knocking it.  I personally just don't get it.

Most games are repetitive by nature, but these seem even more so.  I can never tell if there's any depth to them as a spectator.  The competitive aspect is one thing, I suppose, but I still can't understand how some players can live for them unless they literally do it for a living.

I think it is the sheer volume of the stuff to do, with how easy it is to find a new game.

[+] 1 user Likes Carlospicyweiner's post
I think it's kind of bc it mimics real life. luck and skill wins the game. Both are required.

Casual to Competitive Players, even if i think battle royales aren't that competitive because too much luck is involved

It was something new and different which made people want to play. I think it's on the decline now

Because there is a different outcome every time

Definitely that it was a new game mode. So there's some hype behind the novelty.

At it's core, it's popular for the same reason king of the hill is a popular game mode. Only in battle royale games can make you feel like you're #1 out of 100. Also there's several ways to play it (aggressive, hiding, camping, etc.).

Repetitive gametype, but every game is different. In that regards it's similar to games like League of Legends. Combine that with an infinite skillceiling considering most of them are FPS and you have a pretty good format. Luck is typically involved so the casual gamer can also pull off crazy things.

At the time it was different from other standard deathmatch and team based shooters. No respawns made it feel more intense and made the player play more carefully than just running and gunning.

The stakes, really. I only really get into Apex though, since it does a good job of capturing the survival aspect of things.

shamelessperv Wrote:The stakes, really. I only really get into Apex though, since it does a good job of capturing the survival aspect of things.
Apex is by far the best at making me feel like the stakes are always high. Never felt it from Fortnite or any other the others, but I do everytime from Apex

It's the randomness while following the same plot, not a single match is the same, it also varies by a certain degree, i'm loving it. Could get tiresome if you overdo it.

Playing with friends and being able to chat is my biggest appeal. Looting and just running around looking for fights causes a lot of lull times in the game that can be used just to talk.

Good time killer when I'm waiting for stuff to cook

Being an avid Battlefield player for years... i tried then all. Alex, Fortnite, Firestorm... I just can't get into it. I don't say they aren't good they are not just for me.

I just really like the fact to come back from the dead and get my revenge on the people that killed me.

Playing with friends and have fun

I think Escape from Tarkov has a good approach on this, it has battle royale themes (enter a map, try to be the last one surviving) but there is a real progression as you get to keep everything you earn if you survive, and steal whatever the other players had if you kill them. Its definitely interesting, buggy game though unfortunately.

dlewtop Wrote:Not knocking it.  I personally just don't get it.

Most games are repetitive by nature, but these seem even more so.  I can never tell if there's any depth to them as a spectator.  The competitive aspect is one thing, I suppose, but I still can't understand how some players can live for them unless they literally do it for a living.

Mainly it is the PVP aspect people love bragging rights for surviving and being #1 out of 50-99 other people pretty much for competative players to say they are the best

It's like an adaptive game, yoy go from long bombing everyone to being forced to slug it out close range. Can be fun

dlewtop Wrote:Not knocking it.  I personally just don't get it.

trying to be the best