arrow_upward
What's the next "big" language in web development?
5 years ago I remember thinking it'd be worth getting into pure Javascript. Turns out I was right.

What's the next technology that's going to transform how web development works?

Swift is getting big. Pretty much anything mobile app development is a safe bet to go down.

Swift gaining lots of traction recently

I think javascript is here to stay, but perhaps a new superset of it will grow.

For backend languages, I would say go. The language has come pretty far since its inception and has shown to be a huge performance boost when used correctly.

I think go and javascript will be the two dominant languages for at least a few more years to come. Major changes will mostly come from the frameworks within the ecosystem

I haven't heard of a strong alternative to Javascript, its user support is far too high still

Swift/ python
Also it's the other way around but Fortran still remains in demand.

For backend it really doesn't matter much. As long as the programming language is stable and has a decent API framework i think you can most web development work. Focus on the language you need for your particular project and what you as a human are capable of learning quickly. You must consider the learning curve behind programming languages and you also have to consider what the language can do for you as it is only a tool.

GoogleRX but prolly not supposed to mention it

Swift and go are becoming more and more popular, but Javascript is the most dominant language. All 3 are able to be used without much problem, so all 3 are fine