arrow_upward
When will Julia become a viable alternative to Python?
As Python's popularity and application continues to skyrocket, in comes Julia, a wonderful, Python-like language that is a miracle for STEM researchers that is supposed to be 7x faster than Python. Those who are more familiar with the language and have followed its development, when will it begin to take over for Python?

[+] 1 user Likes Toober1's post
It has become hard to believe that anything will take over Python really.

Not for quite some time I'd say. It's a rather new language and unlike Go and Rust it's not backed by huge companies such as Google and Mozilla, also it lacks a solid community like python does.

[+] 1 user Likes comandanterp's post
Hello,

I do personnally think that if you move from Python you would go for something like Go or C++ and not Julia.

+

not for a while

It really depends on the big bosses will. A language by itself isn’t so powerful, it’s the frameworks and its popularity that pushes it

Speed is not always everything when programming in higher level languages. Julia is faster but if the application needs to be faster, usually people will step down to a lower level language. Python is slow because of the libraries it has. Unless needed, it doesn’t make sense to trade a few libraries for a slightly faster code. It’s not that big of a demand so I think a cross over would be a slow process.