arrow_upward
Where did you first learn programming?
Where did you guys first get in touch with programming? I actually first learned it in school, started with Java at that time. But when talking to people, I don't know where to start to explain the basics and don't know where to forward them to. I am going to try out coursera soon, as it is free for now. Meanwhile, do you have any experience or suggestions?

I started in school

i learned on the internet a long time ago, but I'd highly recommend using khan academy or something

I never thought it would work but deffo choosing a side project and googling every little bit of it

high school; html and ladder logic

I started in a summer camp. Most of what I learned from there is self-taught.
C#, VB1.0, Lua, to name a few.
Of course I've supplemented my self-teaching with courses later down the line though.
Would be stupid to not learn some better practices. Self-learning is oftentimes messy.

I started out on Code Academy and then joined a bootcamp. Rammed Java into my skull in 3 months!

I started learning BASIC on Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K in the 80s. :O

by myself, i started by building a caluclator in delphi

Uploading html (and eventualy some JavaScript) from notepad to my parent's AOL webspace. Wink all while messing with my TI-82 in high school.

I received a very rudimentary understanding of coding during the early days of MySpace as a little kid just playing with templates. That initial spark ignited a lifelong passion for coding.

Sorta learned HTML in middle school and then C# in CC

Took programming courses in college, but I honestly learned the most from just online tutorials and videos. Going into debt from tuition just motivated me to learn so as to not "waste" my money

i started in collage, c++.

I got asked to apply for a software developer position by the operations manager fior the dev team, I had collaborated with her on a project and she thought I had the mindset of a dev. Got taught on the job a custom language for a case management system.

High school

Got into BASIC then Pascal then 8086 Assembly Language all on my own by hammering on the keyboard and a lot of trial and error. Back in the 90's, the internet was not widespread as it is now so all I had was self-determination and a few books.

Started a long time ago with the resources from thee internet, just because I wanted to learn how to mod my favorite game at that time... Lol

I tarted in elementary school and more complex programming i learned in highschool

I started learning with YouTube tutorials.