arrow_upward
Why are PC part prices so high?
Since 2020, we’ve seen a large spike in prices and there are good reasonings behind it such as scarcity and the shutdown of factories. But why do we see so many companies pushing the envelope with its prices?

You kind of said it yourself. Supply/demand drive PC part prices more than most other industries. Lockdown means much higher demand AND much lower supply.

Yeah, the demand from the pandemic has shot through the roof so it makes sense that prices will go up. Higher demand, lower supply = higher prices.
Nvidia has admitted to not producing enough inventory so there you go! Probably won't be coming down anytime in the future with work from home the new normal.

It really depends a lot, I personally found PC parts cheap this month,not from amazon but from other site.. Price difference for a same product was huge tbh

Well, one reason is simply that, like those above me have said, simple supply-demand. 2020 was a year where nearly everyone was just stuck indoors every single day. So, the amount of people who chose to either turn to gaming for the first time or return to gaming increased. Companies know this, and so they know they can make huge profits, so they hike up the prices. On top of that, these companies may need the money to pay for nonprofitable wage payments and stuff, like for those who don't quite have a lot to do during the quarantine but still need to be kept on because their skills outside quarantine are very useful, etc.

Also, capitalism.

Its def due to covid production

Building Pcs is becoming more common and companies will push what they can get away with as long as people keep buying.

It’s getting really annoying having to constantly wait for parts to go down in price or come back in stock nowadays

Simple answer is - greed for profits. There are actual stocks of rtx 30xx cards in my local stores, but they are prices around 150%-200% of what they cost the store to buy. People still buy it, because most consumers don't even bother researching prices for this stuff, they just see new shiny video card and they buy it.

If I order same tech from China, I can get it almost twice cheaper compared to prices in local stores.

because of covid, supply & demand ect

I work in IT corporate supply mainly. There are a few reasons. First is, like others have mentioned supply and demand. We have more people than ever staying home.

So look at the switch PS5 Xbox etc... They were out of stock for a long time. same goes for PC parts, mainly cpu's and GPU's. Because manufacturers know that if someone wants something bad enough they will pay for it. Resellers are paying the already high price, to sell it for a even higher value.

The second reason atleast for enterprise products, are we haven't really recovered from the lack of imports from China, or other countries that make the parts. When production was back in full swing, these companies were hundreds of thousands orders behind. Between that and new orders, it's hard to keep up.

Also greed, that plays a part in everything though.

Covid 19 the disaster of our time.