arrow_upward
Workout shoes! Does it matter what kind?
So I played football in college and just recently finished my NCAA career. When we worked out as a team, we had to wear team-issued gear, including training shoes. Over the years I received any pairs of the Nike Metcon (including generations 3-5). I got very familiar with the stability of the workout show and what one should be using for certain workouts. But now that I am retired, I workout at the normal gym where I see people wearing converse or vans to lift in. I don’t think I could switch back to a non-training shoe to workout in. What do you guys think about this? Am I just being picky?

I am one of those people who don't understand the importance of shoes in a GYM (I lift barefoot), they don't really offer protection, and I think they hinder me in some lifts.
In anyway, I'd say the answer is just wear what you're most comfortable with and used to the most, because I don't think they offer anything other than a bit more hygiene anyway.

[+] 1 user Likes reegna's post
I see what you mean. For some lifts, a shoe with a higher heel-to-toe drop allows more range of mobility for the hips. The back/front squat for example, the raised heels lets you get lower in your squat. However, for lifts like shoulder or bench press, the drop has no point. I also workout in a place that requires shoes, so I cannot go barefoot /:

I always lift barefoot as it help with my balance and weight distribution. I've heard the 'barefoot' shoes are also pretty sweet, especially if you're working out somewhere that isn't soft underfoot.

[+] 1 user Likes Hellohellobyebye's post
Any firm flat soled shoes are good. Barefoot is also an option, but to be in a public gym, it's fairly unhygienic (for yourself and others). Converse shoes are pretty standard for lifting.

[+] 1 user Likes pumpkinbreeze's post
It would depend based on what workout you're doing. If you're lifting, you'd use a different training sneaker than someone who is strictly doing aerobic exercise. If you need support, make sure you pick a sneaker that gives you that support.

[+] 1 user Likes harolde157's post
Personally I wear adidas powerlift 4s for everything. They're one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Squat shoes are beneficial because they have a flat, non compressible sole so your feet are solid to the ground and don't wobble. Then the raised heel helps get the ankles in a better position when squatting.

If the heel feels off when deadlifting, switching to some converse are good since they also don't compress.

[+] 1 user Likes Behemoth70's post
anyone tried Skechers before for brisk walking?

Asics for lifting, runners for.jogging and other core training

Work out shoes don’t matter man

Sneakers are good enough

Anything flexible and breatheable fabric not leather

I just usually grab a pair of random sneakers when I used to go to the gym. For me sports shoes don't really make a large difference.