arrow_upward
Your favorite obscure science fiction book series.
Hello, figured I'd ask a question that I haven't been able to ask in awhile owing to the 19. But, what is your favorite science fiction series that gets basically no love or recognition?

Mine is currently a tie between the Honor Harrington series by David Weber and the Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh. Both are masterclass titans of the Space Opera, the first being some of the best battleship writing i've ever read, with complicated plots both political and military. 

The latter is a story of pure politics, through the eyes of a human translator to an alien race that humanity stumbled upon on their travels through the stars. As the single human allowed on the alien owned side of the world, he must try to maintain peace between factions that wish to advance humanity only, those that wish to maintain the status quo, and those who wish to advance the aliens to humanity's technical level, which could lead to war.

Both are highly enjoyable for those who love a hard sci fi setting. 

I turn it over to you, what are your favorites?

It's not obscure, but as far as hard scifi goes I sure enjoyed Arthur C Clark's Rendezvous With Rama and the books that follow.

If you're familiar with the youtube channel Exurb1a he wrote a book I really enjoyed. The Fifth Science. A collection of scifi short stories.

Insignia by S. J. Kincaid.

Set in the future, the main character gets drafted in the military where they implant a computer into their brain to fight a pseudo-war against China (they control robots to fight over territory in space, since the robots do all the fighting no one dies)