arrow_upward
switching from external hdd setup to a media server
HEy,

my external hard drives are running out of space, my CPU is running out of ports, and my power strips are all full.

i would like to dabble in creating a media server, to store all of my wins and crap on.

ive currently got 2x 14TB external HHDs, 2x 4TB external HHDs, 1x 4TB internal HHD, 1x 250GB internal SSD, 1x 125GB SSD.
for a total of approx 33 TB of actual usable storage

and all together ive got about 10 TB free. 

if anyone with experience creating servers please contact me. 

ill be able to start contributing alot more once i get my storage system all sorted out.
PPV content       docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qreU0NmNJTAekW_uhvIQGWZUkvEDCuIqhgXzGyJEMnw/edit#gid=0
lifeselector        docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Vme6sP0Je-2uNXX7-TiaeyLra0hVwEJk4QDPVBYfg4/edit#gid=0
GDP content      docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bjkg8y4-2upuy8LsZSi3i2ElcjidViJcmf_DOjU7xcQ/edit#gid=0

[+] 1 user Likes MasterDJBoner's post
Ive never made a server before but I use my desktop as a media server with the serviio program, it works pretty well

If you have the dough to spend, look into the Synology family of products. They also have really good documentation and a wide variety of NAS / Server options. Should be good for what you're looking for, and probably the easiest.

You're basically just building a PC where you're gonna store everything. Use the SSD for your o/s and media center programs, and use the rest for media storage. Be sure to max out the amount of ram you can have on whatever motherboard you use. At least one of your sata slots will be taken up by an optical drive, unless you plan on using dvds/brds on another box. This is a lot simpler than you think.

Yeah, and honestly storage is super crazy cheap now in comparison. You really shouldn't keep anything on a HD or ssd's that gets used frequently. Asking to lose it.