arrow_upward
why do they make stores so depressing
like fast food restaurants, most clothing stores, and walmart/target are some of the most depressing places to be in. Idk what it is it might be the lighting or the crappy music or the miserable employees. Does anyone else feel this way?

Having worked in retail and food service, I consider them a little depressing just because I know what kind of shit goes on in there, and how much it sucks to be treated like shit by customers. But I also have some good memories, and if you've worked in such a place long enough, you end up being able to see the same kind of thing happen every now and then. Not so much right now, you don't see employees or shoppers just kind of hang out and have a laugh when everything has to be disinfected all the time, but before everything fell to pieces they weren't too bad for me.

I will say, the reason for the lighting and all the rectangles is to move product. People tend to buy more when there's more light, when aisles are organized, etc. Market research over creativity and uniqueness. That's honestly why some of my favorite places to shop are used book stores or dollar stores because they don't keep everything as well organized, so it feels a bit less digital.

Yeah I have the same thoughts. I feel like arrangement and lighting definitely changes the whole atmosphere. It's more noticeable for comparing when you're in the mall since each department has their own layout and lighting styles.

Not that bad to me

Food = good = less depression