arrow_upward
Does anyone think modern games have worse level design and look more cluttered?
With the increased improvements in shaders, lighting, and texture resolutions, it seems like games have become almost too cluttered visually and the level design has been negatively impacted.

In the days of simpler 3D polygons, it was necessary to have perfectly refined level design because you couldn't distract from poor level design with pretty graphics. Some of the best games were very tightly connected to their graphics quality.

But now it seems like games focus too much on the graphics and have really poor level design that looks cluttered. Star Wars Battlefront looks wonderful but it's really hard to see what's going on because everything is so cluttered with texture and color. It is the same problem with the Uncharted games.

moder games lack fundamental purpuses and focuses on graphics it sucks

Compared to games in the 1980's/1990's, yeah new videos games seem cluttered. Like they add useless things (boxes, tables, chairs, etc) Older games just had basic stuff. It seems with new technology, they just want add whatever the heck they want.

The rebooted Hitman series (Hitman 1, 2, and 3) have some of the most immersive and well desingned levels in all of gaming. I think that many of the maps nail the fundamentals and provide the player with many choices on how to approach a scenario. Hitman is an oddly comedic and interesting game which I have been enjoying recently, I would encourage anyone to play it.

100% dude. It shows that big devs are actually getting nervous about indie devs

Man, prefer sandbox games

Yes definitely, newer games are definitely more cluttered