arrow_upward
How time consuming is learning how to play an instrument
I am currently working two jobs but I always wanted to play an instrument. I don't know if I have the time for it. What would you recommend?

[+] 1 user Likes diobono69's post
Depends on how determined you are. It could be a few months, it could be years.
For me I was able to learn the guitar in about 2-3 months time on my own (to a skill level where I can choose what to play and not be limited to easy songs).
I highly suggest learning the guitar since it’s versatile. It can be played to get rid of stress, it can be played to calm yourself down etc.

Otherwise some I would suggest (from the ones I’ve played) are the drums, flute and saxophone.
If you want something even more simple, there are harmonicas and ocarinas. Small and portable instruments which aren’t necessarily expensive.

Good luck.

[+] 1 user Likes redactedboi's post
I agree with what Redactedboi said and guitar is good instrument to learn for a bunch of reasons. It'll offer you a lifetime of learning and mastering, but you can get to an OK level in under a year, even if you don't practice too much. Also, regarding if you might not have enough time for learning an instrument; if your instrument is portable, you can just pop down on the couch and watch TV while doodling at the same time or doing some other activities while playing simultaneously.

Regardless of what instrument you decide to learn, there should be tons of lessons and tips and how-to-plays just on Youtube alone. Having access to all the resources available on the Internet now should make it easy to find the answer to any question you might have along the way.

Last, check out Reverb and Ebay or your local online marketplace and buy something used. There are tons of great instruments (at least true for guitars and basses) that you can get for just a few hundred dollars that'll last you a very long time.

[+] 1 user Likes illiaden2's post
It really depends on the level of proficiency you want. If you go for instruments like drumset, guitar, violin, etc, it is very hard to feel like you've improved beyond beginner if you only practice once or twice a week.

depens on how good you want to be really.

when i learned how to play the flute, 3 months with an instructor about twice a week was when i started to get okay. nowhere near good though