arrow_upward
When do you think life will return to normal?
what about the next waves??

I hope as someone said that we learn some lessons out of this, but seriously I dont think things will change that much, once we have the vaccine it will be another common flu

I am confident that it will. In uncertain times like these, it is always good to use the past as a reference point. The pandemic of 1917-18 was just as scary (probably worse given the lack of technology that we enjoy now), and influenza always remains a dangerous virus but because we are able to vaccinate against it it is an acceptable danger. It is a good comparison because there is a term in epidemiology called the basic reproduction number, or r-naught for short, that is used to gauge how infectious a virus is. Both influenza-A and COVID-19 have an R-naught of 2-3 meaning that for every one infected person that person can infect 2-3 persons they come in contact with. For comparison, the measles virus has an R-naught of 15 (why parents who do not vaccinate their children will ALWAYS be wrong no matter what absurd trend they ascribe to).

The scary thing about this coronavirus is the unusual prognosis that seems random and unpredictable. Diseases that affect humans rarely change, although their treatments constantly do, and many physicians can predict the course of the disease. But with COVID-19, many clinicians are/were frightened because the disease course is random; for example there is no stepwise decline that can be measured and planned for. Coupled with the lack of supportive treatment (although with Remdesivir that may be changing), no vaccine, and the fact that by the time the virus's severity was recognized the exponential rate of spread was already well under way (see this great post by forbes:

RE: When do you think life will return to normal?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: When do you think life will return to normal?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
) which in turn completely overwhelmed the healthcare's system to care for the multitude of patients, drastic and certainly unpopular measures had to be taken. Again to compare to influenza, many people do not know how deadly it can be to certain people. For example, in 2019 the CDC states 62,000 deaths can be contributed to influenza (

RE: When do you think life will return to normal?.

Registered Members Only

You need to be a registered member to see more on RE: When do you think life will return to normal?.
Login or Sign up to get access to a huge variety of top quality leaks.
). Last I heard on the news, there are over 80,000 deaths in the US due to COVID-19 but it is difficult to say this is much worse than influenza for several reasons: 1) We have a vaccine for influenza, 2) congregate housing (i.e. nursing homes, prisons) where already vulnerable populations lived made for the perfect storm and 3) precautions to prevent spread of influenza are rigorously enforced (for example, anyone employed in a healthcare facility is required to receive the flu vaccine or must wear a mask). Furthermore, with the panic and hysteria that ensued which led to PPE shortages for those most at risk, more deaths probably occurred as healthcare workers came in contact with vulnerable populations.

Once there is an effective vaccine and other treatments are developed, things will return to normal. I think it is important to recognize that the lesson that should be learned is not who is at fault or what should have been done (hindsight is always 20/20) but rather an effective and more efficient way to recognize the early stages of viral epidemic and how to mitigate it. Contact tracing would have been crucial to stopping the spread (South Korea implemented this very effectively) and a general understanding of public health by the general public would also have been helpful. It is hard to see the end in sight but like the cliche it is always darkest before the dawn holds true. Be well and stay safe friends!!!

I think a lot of people will still try to keep their distance and things will be different for a long time even after quarantine.

No clue, I'm hoping by the end of the year. But this has almost become the "new normal". It comes down to how people will react when this is all over. I believe there are still going to be people wearing masks and staying out of your way for years to come.

Here we are a few months later. In the U.S. things have only gotten worse.